This is the eleventh year of premiered staged readings of three winning one-act plays in showcase at the Brick Box Theatre housed in the beautiful Paramount Theatre in downtown Rutland, Vermont. Vermont Actors’ Repertory Theatre is in its Twelfth season. The Nor’Eastern Contest winners will receive an intense day and a half’s work on each play, and two evenings of Showcasing as well as three nights lodging. The Nor’Eastern Showcase rehearsal and performance dates for this year will be May 18, 19 & 20, 2016. First, each script goes through a rigorous screening process with panels of readers. The scripts with the highest scores are submitted to a second panel, and then the finalists are read by a single reader who selects the three scripts to be showcased.
If you have question you may e-mail us at:
Full information is also on line at:
Type of work: one-act plays no longer than 45 mins. Notification: yes
Deadline: November 15, 2016 . .
Plays may again be submitted as of August 15, 2016
This year’s winners will be work shopped and showcased May 18 (workshop), May 19 (workshop & showcase) and May 20 (professional review and discussion & showcase), 2017.
- This contest is open to playwrights of all ages and experience who are residents of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania (the Northeast).
- One-act plays must be readable in the showcase in 45 minutes or less. Readers are instructed to disqualify plays that are, or appear to be, longer.
- Submissions must be original, unpublished, one-act plays. Plays that have had staged readings or productions may be submitted, however, plays that have received Vermont productions or readings, or that have been published, may not.
- Legal clearance of materials not in the public domain is the full responsibility of the playwright.
- Individual playwrights may submit a maximum of two (2) entries per year.
- The author will maintain all literary rights to his or her own material.
- All submissions are judged blind. We require four (4) bound copies with four (4) cover pages: all four (4) with the title of the play, BUT ONLY <st1 :stockticker w:st="on">ONE</st1> with the author’s name, address, E-mail & phone numbers. Electronic copies will not be accepted due to the costs of printing.
- If you would like your scripts returned, you MUST include an S.A.S. mailing envelope covering the <st1 :stockticker w:st="on">FULL</st1> return mailing costs with your submission. If no S.A.S.E. is included, or if the postage is less than cost, your scripts will be recycled.
- Plays must be processed, page numbered, and securely bound in soft cover, in standard professional play format. Write to Samuel French Inc., 45 West 25th Street, New York, NY 10010-2751 for their format guidelines, or copy them from www.vcu.edu/artweb/playwriting/format.html on line.
- All submissions will be handled with care. However, Vermont Actors’ Repertory Theatre assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged scripts.
- Submission fees: Following the guidelines of the Dramatists Guild of America there is no entry fee.
- Mail four (4) copies of your script(s) to: Nor’Eastern Play Writing Contest, Vermont Actors’ Repertory Theatre, PO Box 580, Rutland, Vermont 05702-0580. Deadline for submissions is postmarked by November 15, 2016, notification of winners will be on or about March 5, 2017 and the staged readings in Showcase will be in May 18, 19 & 20, 2017, with winning playwrights expected to attend.
(2007) Ray Charles, Stamford, CT, Wellington Café: Susan Shafer, NY, New York, Sadie and Ida: Nick Vigorito, Jr., Brooklyn, NY, The Window
(2008) Richard Goodman, Honolulu, HI (by invitation), The Insanity Trial of Mary Todd Lincoln,
(2009) Ben Aleshire, Wallingford, VT, Gauvain The Good Knight: Michael Nethercott, Guilford, VT, The Best Wine: Ron Radice, Andover, MA, Bricks
(2010) Constance Humphrey Egan, Pittsburgh, PA, The Bad Habit: Jacqueline T. Lynch, Chicopee, MA, In Memory of Trixie Gazelle: Alan L. Steinberg, Potsdam, NY, The Revision
(2011) Burnham Holmes, Poultney, VT, The Palm Leaf Dialogues: Lloyd Pace, Larchmont, NY, The Shuttle: Walt Vail, Pitman, NJ, Gerontia
(2012) Geoffrey Craig, Great Barrington, MA, Divorce First Class: Charlene A.
Donaghy, Torrington, CT, Gift of an Orange: Margot Lasher, Marshfield, VT,
(2013) Elan Garonzik, New York, NY, Eternity: Sandy Rustin, Maplewood, NJ,
Fireworks: Ellen Davis Sullivan, Andover, MA, Recessed! or when the Mortgage
Goes Upside Down.
(2014) Kathy Hooke, Portland, ME, The Day After Labor Day, Mona Z. Smith,
Cold Spring, NY, Borderlands, Ron Radice, Andover, MA, Won’t Happen Again.
(2015) Christian Cole-Howard, Newtown, CT, The Sacrifice to Apollo, John
Minigan, Framingham, MA, Entrée Gold, Judith Pratt, Ithaca, NY, Cora’s
(2016) Ruth Miller, West Orange, NJ, Things That Break, Jane Ann Valentine, Pelham,
NY, As I Live and Breathe, Mark Dalton, Albany, NY, Eyes on the Ground